Thursday, March 14

TREASURE HUNTING

During spring break we visited this amazing beach, Dead Horse Bay, in south Brooklyn. Yeah, spring break, screw Cabo! Let's go exploring on an old, untouched beach covered in awesome, glittering, old pieces of trash. And I mean covered. The sand was pretty much made up of tons of little glass bottles that have to be from years ago just because I never see things like that anymore. (Because clearly, if I haven't seen you before, you old.)
We spent a few hours there and they were glorious. It was just really fun to be surrounded in an area that was so different from everyday life. Sidewalks now = BORING! I mean, yes it was easy for the romantic in me to go nuts because She wanted to look at everything through rose colored glasses and ponder on how these things got here, and who they might have once belonged to. But I don't think you can get away with calling trash "vintage" when trash is what you're talking about. So it's a good thing Kenny was there to keep reminding me of that fact. 

There were these cool honeycomb tiles that I kept coming across that I fell in love with. I wanted to find a piece a small enough size to take home. But then Kenny said it probably came from a men's bathroom. So there you go. 

But you know what? That's some gorgeous tile, men's bathroom. 

This is creepy, right? And perfectly awesome. This was exactly the kind of thing I was hoping to find and was totally okay with not taking home.


A lot of what was on the beach were old objects that were entirely covered in rust. We'd walk around, find something, and then guess what it was. But really it felt more like walking around a museum of reproductions and guessing what it "was supposed to be." Every now and then I had to remind myself that I was looking at an actual lawnmower! Not something someone built to make look like an old lawnmower. Which we also found. One of those old school ones they pushed around and probably ruined their lawns with. 



This was one little gem that I found and took home. I had to. Ain't she a beaut?

We found a walking tree that looked like it was getting ready to pack up and leave.
 
A final shot of the boat that washed up in front of the sunset.



Also, final note: this is way more fun than thrifting.








The end!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! xo